Welcome to the Friday Five link up! Link up your Friday Five post with us below- any list of 5 is welcome! From a list of 5 tips to just 5 random thoughts, your Friday 5 post can be about anything! This week our guest Friday Five post comes to us from Jill, who writes the blog And Life Goes On...An Angel and a Rainbow.
5 facts about rare diseases:
There are many different days in the year for different causes. February 28 is Rare Disease Day.
Here are 5 facts about rare diseases:
1. According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, a rare disease is one that affects fewer than 200,000 Americans at any given time.
2. According to the National Institutes of Health, there are between 6,000 and 7,000 rare diseases affecting from 25 to 30 million Americans.
3. 80% of rare diseases have identified genetic origins and 50% of rare diseases touch children. (source)
4. Patients with rare diseases are frequently misdiagnosed or are undiagnosed. (source)
5. Approximately 50% of rare diseases do not have a disease specific foundation supporting or researching their rare disease (source)
If you see people walking around sporting a denim ribbon, ask them which rare disease they are supporting.
Please take a minute to click on the source links are read a bit more about rare diseases and how you can help spread awareness. To learn more about Niemann Pick Disease, the disease I support, go to the National Niemann Pick Disease Foundation, the Mayo Clinic, and the Parseghian Foundation.
Thanks for sharing this information with us Jill! Be sure to check our her blog as well!
And now it's your turn! Do you have a Friday Five post to share? Link up with us below, and please be sure to visit some other blogs in the link up! We hope you'll link back to us or add our Friday 5 button to your post! Thanks for linking up!
If you have a Friday Five you'd like featured as a guest post, please do not hesitate to email us!
Bloglovin //Twitter //Pinterest //Facebook